I know, I know, I know... I started this whole blog business so I would be less inclined to turn on the boob tube after a long day of work. But there are so many really good shows on network television right now that I find I'm at least turning on the TV with greater intention and less out of sheer exhaustion. We don't have cable because 1) that would be a total disaster for me, 2) I don't support monopolies and 3) it's like a friggin' car payment! But this has actually worked out famously for us because network TV is bringin' it these days! I wasn't sure anything could top my TV love for 30 Rock and How I Met your Mother, but a couple of these newbies sure are coming close!
Community

Senor Chang. Joel Mchale. Troy & Abed. Who doesn't like this show?
I couldn't pick just one clip...
Aaannnnd... the Krumping clip.
Modern Family
Between 11 year-old Manny "a man of action" Delgado (who drinks coffee and chases older women), fabulous Uncle Cameron, and Phil, who prides himself on 'peerenting' rather than parenting, I really can't decide who I love best. Add Al Bundy to the equation and you've got a winner! I just know I want to be part of their ridiculous family.
a favorite clip:
The Mentalist
I think psychic detective Patrick Jane and I probably had a "thing" in a former life. And if we didn't, we should have. I'm not usually into crime/detective shows (ever) but I feel like this one is both clever and funny (thanks to hunky Aussie Simon Baker) and doesn't make me want to double check all the locks in my apt. before bed. Plus, it has Robin Tunney, the chick who shaved her head in Empire Records! Totally awesome!
Parenthood
This show is brilliant. True, it's an extended family dramedy, but it's not to be confused with depressing snoozers like Brothers & Sisters. As a psychology nerd, I like how it plays with all sorts of real life family issues, minus the melodrama. Plus, they've got a solid cast. I never got into Gilmore Girls with the same fervor as my mom, but I've always liked Lauren Graham a whole lot. She can play herself in every role and I'm still a big fan. Maybe we should be friends! Too bad it's on at 10pm, which is frankly waaayyy past my bedtime.
Now, if you asked Danny, my older and wiser husband, he would probably also put an intellectual vote in for Life on the Discovery Channel. Oprah narrates, which is a plus in my book, but I could really take it or leave it... although I did think it was mighty hilarious to watch the Snow Monkeys lounging in hot tubs! That is, until I found out it was an exclusive "members only" spa that left marginalized monkeys out in the cold, literally. We need to get some serious social justice action up in this Japanese country club stat!



amen. i love all of the above, but mostly parenthood. oh and i was a sucker for GG. yep, guilty.
ReplyDelete