at a time in my life when I feel perpetually behind and can't seem to keep anything straight, I've found myself turning to music for refuge. most days I only manage to find a few minutes to myself and while it's not much, it's enough to hear that one song that will (hopefully) lend my day a little pick me up.
I have a sort of "hall of fame" playlist that's been my go-to lately. it's just a mish mash of favorite songs that have moved me in some way along the way of my "growing up" (in quotations because I'm still in this phase, and will likely be for, well, ever). I decided that it would be cool to share some of these songs with you (whoever you are) every week... not because I "discovered" them (which I never do... I literally just started liking Kings of Leon last summer...) but just because they might tug on your heart strings a little too. Or make you dance. I got a few of those too.
This week you get Mumford & Sons. For two reasons. One: I rolled out of bed on this fine no-where-to-be kind of morning and, sort of on auto-pilot, got dressed, made my tea, hopped in my car and went to... church. Huh. I haven't been to "church" (also in quotes b/c it's actually the center for spiritual living a.k.a. hippie church) in at least a year. I didn't plan to go, but I ended up there this morning, so I decided to make the best of it. The jokes were surprisingly funny and the music was nothing short of awesome. The "band" was fully decked out in seahawks gear and led the congregation in a soulful (well, as soulful as white people can be) rendition of Stand By Me to send us on our way. But ah, I'm losing my point already. The point is that this morning my legs knew something that my head didn't... that my soul (not in quotes) needed awakening. And I thought about this today (all day) and it turns out to be pretty true. Now I've (finally) come to Reason #2: this song (which also takes place in a church... what are the odds...?) seems appropriate. And it's beautiful. And it reminds me of my mother. For a whole lot of reasons I won't get into right now.
Enjoy.
if you lack patience, you may want to skip ahead to ~1:15 when things get rolling...
Mumford and Sons - Awake My Soul from Thomas Henley on Vimeo.
Well you know I'm going to comment on a post about church. Glad to hear you had some soul time.
ReplyDeleteAnd music? Gets me through most things I don't want to do. Such as right now...and folding the laundry. Nothing a little Mates of State can't fix.