Tuesday, September 28, 2010

first day jitters.

It's been (at least) a month since my last blog posting. Apparently I needed a break. Or maybe I'm just not cut out to be a weekly blogger. I guess time will tell. Regardless, I'm back (for now) and gearing up for my first day of school tomorrow.

Walking across campus this morning, I was thinking about how many first days of school I've had in my life. And good Lord, it turns out that this is my 23rd first day of school. So you'd think after 22 tries I'd be really good at this, right? You know, cool as a cucumber... totally "in my element" or something. But sadly, this is not the case. Turns out I still get the first day jitters. I still have nightmares about showing up without a shirt on (hello!) or forgetting to go to class for an entire quarter and not realizing it until the day before finals and then trying to do all the make-up work in one night (ridiculous much?). And I still (consciously) worry about being late or saying stupid stuff or not making the best first impression.

But, as my father-in-law reminded me this summer, all the worrying in the world won't help a bit... and in my case, won't change the inevitable. :) Because I will likely be late to a class or two... I will undoubtedly make jokes in class that nobody gets (and awkwardly laugh at them)... and when meeting new people I will, without fail, ramble & then apologize for rambling, making first impressions pretty hit or miss. BUT, and thank goodness for buts, in the grand scheme of things, I realize these are pretty small infractions. We can't be perfect and it's about time we (ok, I) stop wasting mental energy thinking about all the things that could go wrong. Because, as Mr. Grady likes to remind me, plenty of stuff will go right.

Surprisingly, graduate school is gradually helping me let go of some of these anxieties. Being in an environment where there's always someone smarter or more articulate or a harder worker than you is not just humbling, it makes you realize real quick that if you spend all your time dwelling on your shortcomings, you won't have time to write your dissertation (unless your dissertation is on your weaknesses, which would be terribly depressing). To make it through these next two years I'm realizing that I will have to take it easy on myself and trust that everyday I'm getting (at least a little) better at what I do, and that if my heart & head are in the right place, good things will follow.

So there's my little pep talk for myself. Tomorrow morning I will make my official debut as PhD student and Teaching Assistant for the School Psychology program (holy crap). And instead of losing sleep tonight over these big shoes to fill, I'll try to think instead about the awesome faculty that (for some reason) think I can do this and how I have a fantastic partner-in-crime (Mr. Grady) to come home to at the end of the day who will, without fail, laugh at all my lame jokes.

Plus, I'm planning to bring donuts for everyone, which should score me some BIG first impression points. :)


7 comments:

  1. 1. You made a great first impression on me.
    2. You are as cool as a cucumber.
    3. You, without a doubt, will be one of the AWESOMEST TA's ever.
    4. Bringing donuts will definitely score you points.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were made for this, it's going to be such a good year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll I can say is you are awesome. ditto to what kate said.

    I'm thankful for your rambling, silly jokes and you ability to laugh at yourself, your persistence, and of course your fashion sense...because as we I'll know, besides bringing donuts, I'm sure you'll be the most sinking cute lady there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are too adorable! If people don't like you- they should get their heads checked!!! You are so gifted with words/writing....have you thought of doing this professionally? Best of luck with your first week back at school! Know that you have lots of people cheering you on! GO Erin!!! love~lauren lake

    ReplyDelete
  5. You all are TOO kind. :) Thanks for the love. I'll be carrying each one of you with me today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's all about a new pair of shoes. If you've got style on your feet all is ok. And I'm sure you had style on your feet today, so all is ok! PS- I hope those were Mighty O donuts, otherwise it's gonna be a loooooong year kiddo.

    ReplyDelete