Saturday, March 27, 2010

Seattle and Portland Fistfight in Heaven.

Well, for those of you who may be wondering, it looks like the hubby and I may be sticking around the Emerald City for a couple more years... (cue fist shaking and loud "boos" from the Portland metro area). With no sign of job opportunities for Grady or me in P-town, and opportunities up the wazoo up here, it just "makes the most sense." (Danny's words, not mine. Everyone knows that I don't make decisions based on sense.)

This is probably one of the hardest decisions we've ever had to make (well, since the last time we decided not to move to Portland...). It's not that we dislike Seattle by any stretch (though I could do without the antisocial behavior & $500,000 cottages), it's just that we have the most incredible family & friends waiting for us in Portland. (insert cute nephews here.)

Don't you just want to squeeze them? It's tough for us being away from our families and our beloved Portland. There is something a little more rugged, or dare I say 'gritty,' about Portland that suits us. Not to mention the 'just our speed' families like the Lambs and Hainleys that give Portland it's personality.

But it seems Seattle is a vortex for us, like it has me on one of those kid harnesses and every time I try to escape it pulls me back (harder). The truth is, this city and I have been through a lot together (multiple degrees, drunken debauchery, heartbreak, hospitalizations, marriage) and it's recently become clear that Seattle is 1) not done with me and 2) not letting me go without a fight.

And like I said, I could think of worse places to live out my 20s than Seattle. I mean, for crying out loud, we have hilarious (and ridiculously good looking) friends up here too, live music nearly every night, beaches, mountains, amazing restaurants, and not to mention a charming, affordable apartment right down the street from yummy sushi, yoga, pizza, cupcakes and a Catholic church we've been meaning to go to for a couple of years now. If I ever complain again somebody should really slap me.

Plus, and here's the kicker, I love what I do. I know that I am one of the lucky few that has work that is intellectually challenging and fun, and that makes me feel like I'm actually making a difference and appreciated for it. The opportunity to continue my studies in helping kids that can't seem to catch a break is both exciting and humbling. It looks like poor Jim (my advisor) will have to put up with my antics for a few more years...

So for now it seems Seattle wins the fistfight with Portland. But only for now. And in honor of our love triangle with these cities, we will (attempt) riding in the STP (Seattle to Portland) bike ride this July. And who knows, maybe if I collapse on my bike somewhere around Olympia we might just decide to stay there.

By the way, I'm not sure if you got my Sherman Alexie reference in this blog title (taken from the title of his book of short stories: The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven). It was only mildly clever.


2 comments:

  1. laughed out loud at the thought of you on a baby-leash...love it!
    And yes, very sad that Seattle has won the battle...for now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stop making me cry or I will not read your blog anymore.

    ReplyDelete